8:22 pm
Just back from dinner.  Had a nice meal and nice time discussing the positive aspects of the day…..then a short devotional and back to the room.  Write.  Clean up.  Sleep.  That’s my priority tonight.  I’ve already uploaded pictures so that task is done. 

Day One is in the books. And we are glad.  We learned a lot.  Ran around a lot.  Fine tuned a lot.  And sweat a lot.  But I think it was a good day – especially considering it was Day One.  There were a couple of emergency cases – mostly in pediatrics.  Little kids with some severe symptoms…which may have turned out to be malaria.  We were able to provide treatment and saw some improvement.

The weather today was nice, actually.  It got really warm around noon (a sure signal that rain is on the way, according to Pastor Alex).  And by 5 pm the sky was pretty dark and the clouds quite threatening – but the skies never opened and we really didn’t get any rain.  Just a few sprinkles on the front windshield as we headed home.

The clinic morning got off to a bit of a slow start.  The doctor meeting was long and though we had patients through Triage and in the waiting rooms, it may have been after 9:00 before any patients were seen.  We slowly got up to speed and were making a dent in the line by noon. 

Upon our arrival, the line was down the block to the first cross street (if you’ve been before you know what that means….a lot of people).  The chairs were not too filled in the worship center, so I was hopeful that we wouldn’t be swamped today.  I went out (by myself….but was soon followed by Ivan just for my own security) to check on the line about 10:30 – and it was just as long as when we had arrived.  That’s not a good thing.  But I encouraged those waiting in line that we were moving and they would see a doctor.

In the afternoon more chairs arrived and were spread out on campus – but especially in the waiting areas.  The chairs remained full until we shut down the line completely.  And then those in the chairs not immediately waiting for registration were sent home to come back in the morning.  I’m sure there were upwards of 200 patients that we had to send home.  Hopefully, we will get a better start in the morning and can get more of the patients seen.  It’s hard to send them away, but we have to hit the road before dark as well.  As it is, we decided to leave at 5:30 today (later than normal).

Dr. James is doing a great job as medical director.  His personality is suited to the task and his organizational skills are precise and wise.  We are honored to have him serve the mission – and hope he continues for many years to come.

I don’t know many patient stories today – I spent most of the day just juggling issue after issue.  Oh, and I sort of went dark for about 45 minutes when Pastor Alex took me on a tour of a new facility they purchased and are remodeling.  It should house about 218 students when the remodel is done in a couple of weeks.  You do have to understand “remodel.”  Here it means adding plaster to the bricks and repairing the interior roof and doors and walls (brick).

As for patients, there was the baby in isolation for unknown issues.  They ruled out typhoid and meningitis – and concluded it was malaria.  Such a killer for vulnerable children.  But I think IV me ’helped.  But I never went over there so I am slim on details.  Later in the day there was a small child who SCREAMED with the insertion of her IV.  For the medical folks, one lady had to have 2 G’s of cephtriaxone – which is a lot.  Over here, they do it slowly through an IV….not through an injection.  It would have taken a couple of painful injections, so I’m told.

But mostly thing hummed a long.  The Container was busy with securing all the surgery items requested.  But they got it all done and Becky from surgery was happy.  We had a group of pediatric interns who thought if there was a lull in patients they could just leave.  That didn’t sit well with any of us – and especially with me.  Millie spent half an hour at least talking to them.  I thought they went back to their rooms, but I’m told they didn’t see any more patients.  That ticks me off, just so you know.

But things are going well. Someone from Burundi came with a group of folks – and marveled at the organization and the emphasis on Ebola screening and hand washing.  That hand washing is such a big thing is a testament to Health Together.  Genius.

I’m falling asleep a little (but it’s only Monday) so I think I will finish up.  Our 21st team member arrives in Entebbe at 10:50 tonight.  We’ve got him a room, and literally left the light on for him.  He’s a videographer so we ought to get some great images.  Not sure when, but soon.

We are all healthy and eager to serve together.  My computer is cooperating and the screen is great.  We need your prayers for tomorrow that we might continue to make progress in our systems that we might be a team whose lives are worth imitating  That’s our goal – and that’s our theme.

Oh yes, we handed out a couple of our team t-shirts – to rave reviews.  We will get a team photo in them tomorrow at tea time.  You’ll have to check out the Tuesday pix.


Oh, and I'm not sure what happened -- but we are just about out of stickers already.  Really? Hmm......

Add Comment